2006/01/26

Polka Polka Polka

Okay, stop laughing. Seriously, this post is about polkas. A "polka" is a dance in 2/4 time of Czech origin. The music that accompanies it is (obviously) in the same time, but is not limited to sound like "The Chicken Dance". Now, I'm not so talented an ear that I can pick out a polka when I hear it without reading the word "polka" in the title of the song, but after a while, I am sure keener ears could do it. I know they exist (the songs & the ears). Below are some fine polkas from various sources, many recent tunes, & one scratchy pearl from way back when.


Vesely Muzyky

Music From the Ukraine (1998)
Vesilna Polka
Most of my favorite polkas are from Eastern Europe somewhere, generally Ukraine, but not always. Oddly, for being a Czech style, I've heard no Czech polkas that I know of.

Al Duvall

The Butler's Revenge (2001)
Flophouse Polka
A little bit novelty, a little bit dark, this reminds me in spirit of Tom Waits' "Cemetary Polka" (not posted because I assumed most of you would already know it). Duvall is apparently pretty out-there & unknown. I posted this as a prime example of a non-folk, non-traditional polka.

Guido Deiro

Vaudeville Accordion Classics: The Complete Works of Guido Deiro (2003)
I Don't Care Polka
Originally released in 1913, this novel little ditty is being performed by the Italian musician who first popularized the piano accordion.

Haugaard & Høirup

Duo for Violin & Guitar (2000)
Arnes Polka
I actually don't think I am posting any low tempo polkas, but that's because I like the lively stuff better. This is from a Dutch pair who've been acclaimed & touted from the mountain tops in recent years amongst the Dutch press, apparently.

The Warsaw Village Band

People's Spring (2002)
Traditional Rural Polka
Not to be confused with the Polish style of music/dance "polska," this is a Polish group performing polka. Probably my favorite of this bunch.


Let me know if I am posting far too soon after other folk have posted.

3 Comments:

Blogger dog latin said...

no such thing as too soon. glad to get this shit in motion!

26/1/06 17:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haugaard and Høirup is from Denmark....

13/3/06 12:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would appreciate more visual materials, to make your blog more attractive, but your writing style really compensates it. But there is always place for improvement

13/3/10 16:39  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home