2005/03/08

The Klezmer Conservatory Band

First, I would like to reiterate Zach's sentiment that if you're interested in anything I post that's gone by the wayside because of YouSendIt's policies, comment or email me & I'll see what I can do.

Artist: The Klezmer Conservatory Band
Song: "Rumania, Rumania"/"Remenye, Remenye"
Writer: Aaron Lebedoff/Lebedeff

As far as I can tell, Lebedoff (also found as "Lebedeff") wrote or performed a musical called "If I Only Could" way back in the day, which had one hit song, all in Yiddish, called "Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen," which Lebedoff didn't himself write. He's a Jewish composer & his stage antics influenced Danny Kaye, amongst others.

Klezmer, by the way, is Jewish folk music, basically. Most modern klezmer bands throw in a lot of other influences, fo course, especially jazz & pop & whatnot. Most of the songs are sung in Yiddish, if they have singing at all. It's very much dance music.

The Klezmer Conservatory Band is a group of musicians of various backgrounds who come together to make the klezmer that they love so much. Pretty standard stuff, for a band, yeah? It was started by Hankus Netsky, whose family had a long history of klezmer musicians. Most of the band's work seems to be old klezmer tunes (as opposed to new compositions), though I am not familiar with everything they've done.

This song was the first tune I ever heard by them, & thus, the first klezmer tune I ever fell in love with. It is an appropriate coincidence that I always used to think of that scene in The Inspector General where Danny Kaye is dancing around to some "Romanian folk song" when I heard this (that is, I wished I could dance like that to this song).

The song itself is very snappy, catchy, & kinda cheesy in some ways, but that's what I love about it.

Anyway, without further ado:

Download it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home